Showing posts with label what is emotional intelligence. Show all posts
Showing posts with label what is emotional intelligence. Show all posts

Friday, March 1, 2013

Emotional Intelligence and Realtors

Doing a Google search for Goleman’s statement on Emotional Intelligence resulted in finding 2570 sites that had this quote exactly or a variation of it.  McCoy (1997) quoted Goleman as saying, “That IQ contributes 20% to the factors that determine life success, which leaves 80% to other forces, ranging from social class to luck.  People who cannot control their emotions fight inner battles that sabotage their ability for focused work and clear thought” (p. abstract) .  So, what controls the 80% of these other forces?  Kraus (2008) states that “Researchers have found evidence that emotional intelligence as measured by the MSCEIT relates to the personality constructs defined by the Big Five” (p. 4).  Perhaps it is our personality and emotional intelligence, eh?

McCoy (1997) shows that people often become enraged over trivial events.  Goleman calls an emotional hijacking where your emotions take over the entire experience and make a mountain out of a molehill.  Oftentimes real estate decisions are made based on elements out one’s control, such as the economy or the fiscal cliff.  Clients turn to you for answers and may get emotional when considering these items that are beyond their control, thus creating an emotional meltdown or an emotional hijacking.

Kidwell, Hardesty, Murtha and Sheng (2011) discovered the EI definitely relates to a positive performance with real estate agents.  Tasso (2009) discussed a sensitive trust that related to emotional intelligence.  Much like emotional intelligence, the ability to sell is not innate or inherent.  A successful realtor truly understands the needs of the client and the clients themselves.  Drucker (1973) stated, “The aim of marketing is to make selling superfluous. The aim is to know and to understand the customer so well that the product or service fits him/her and sells itself" (Kotler, 1999).  Connect with this knowledge and connect it with the importance of emotional intelligence.  Mayer and Salovey (1997) calls it, "The ability to perceive, integrate, understand and reflectively manage one's own feelings and other people's feelings."

Research shows that there is connection between emotional intelligence and performance.  In future writings, we will delve into what the combination of emotional intelligence is the in the field of real estate.

Author: Dr. Andree Swanson
Kidwell, B., Hardesty, D. M., Murtha, B. R., & Sheng, S. (2011). Emotional intelligence in marketing exchanges. Journal of Marketing, 75(1), 78. Retrieved from
Mayer, J., & Salovey, P. (1997). What is emotional intelligence? In P. Salovey & D. Sluyter (Eds). Emotional Development and Emotional Intelligence: Implications for Educators (pp. 3-31). New York, NY: Basic Books.
McCoy, B. H. (1997). Emotional intelligence provides key to life success. Real Estate Issues, 22(1), 1-III. Retrieved from
Tasso, K. (2009). A professional approach to selling. The Estates Gazette, 97-97. Retrieved from