Students come from all different educational and family backgrounds that leads to persistence and success in the classroom. Some of the hurdles that students have could seriously hamper their ability to be successful. Persistence and grit is based within the deeper understandings of life and their ability and helping them achieve success might take a slightly unorthodox approach.
1. Positive and encouraging tone.
2. Understanding the educational deficiencies they faced in high school.
3. Connecting them to a community of supportive students.
4. Raising the value of education to them personally by making curriculum applicable to their lives.
5. Determining their motivations and goals in life and building plans specifically for them.
6. Raising their self-perception and self-efficacy.
7. Constant contact and engagement.