Sand Point Lighthouse is located in Escanaba Michigan. The light house operated to warn people of the Little Bay De Noc reefs from 1868 until 1939. Most of the ships were moving ore and natural resources. Nine different keepers stayed at the light house until the U.S. Coast Guard took over its operations and changed the entire area by dredging and filling in areas to create the modern harbor. A crib light was built to warn of the new land hazards.