There are a few steps that help make an attack possible.
1. Start in the En Garde Position. The right arm should be forward with the saber, the right knee slightly bent and pointing forward, and the left leg extended backward with the left food at a 90 degree or perpendicular angle.
2. Extend your arm forward creating a pointing motion with the saber.
3. Push off with the back leg while springing forward with the right leg.
4. Lunge to create a perpendicular front leg, a straight extended back leg, and the arm point straight forward for maximum reach.
5. Reposition back into the En Garde position in case your lunge missed its target.
The lunge is a basic move learned by all beginners. As one progresses in the sport they learn more variations and continue to add components to this. For example, a lunge mixed with a feint and then a strike will encourage the opponent to adjust in the wrong direction thereby allowing the lunge to proceed to its target un-thwarted.